Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 12:38:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: db 1.85 --> 2.x or 3.x?

<<On Tue, 2 May 2000 12:32:20 -0400 (EDT), Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com> said:

>  This is where the license issues are...

Keith offered to make a one-time lobotomy of the DB 2.x code to trim
it down to just the 1.85 API, with a standard Berkeley-style license.
We discussed this for a while, but determined that:

1) exchanging one unmaintained database package for another was not a
particularly useful tradeoff, and

2) the file-format changes would make this sort of change exceedingly
painful to our users.

For these reasons, we said ``thanks but no thanks''.

-GAWollman