Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:53:22 +0800
From:      "Katinka Mills" <katinka@kaqelectronics.dyndns.org>
To:        "Questions@Freebsd. Org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   4.8 Install hangs on boot

Hi all,

First off here is my system :

MSI 745 Ultra Mother Board with the SIS 745 Chipset.
Athlon XP 2000+ CPU
512Mb DDR 333Mhz Ram (KingMax)
Geforce 2 MX 400 Video Card
40Gb HDD primary master
20Gb Hdd primary slave
CDROM secondary master
SB live sound card
KingMax 100mbit network card
USB Keyboard and Mouse (M$)

The system runs Win 2k and Mandrake 9.0 well

When I try to install FreeBSD 4.8R it reboots during the boot process.

Stick in floppy and restart system to load FreeBSD, it loads the boot
loader, starts to load the kernel, resets the USB bus and then reboots.

Same for CDROM.

I have flashed my bios to the latest version, no difference :o(

If I disable "Legacy USB  Keyboard+Mouse+FDD" in bios, it boots but I have
no keyboard during the boot process :o(

Any ideas ?

Can I set a flag to say DO Not Probe address 0x00 or what ever is causing
these faults ?

I think it is USB related, my main servers that run this board, do not use
USB they use PS2 but I do not have any "good" PS2 keyboards around, only the
crap $5 ones :o(

I have googled, and found nothing relevant to this.

Regards,

Kat.

---