Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 02:00:50 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <friar_josh@webwarrior.net>
To:        Nicholas Hart <nick@nickhart.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: migration questions

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 03:02:53PM -0700, Nicholas Hart wrote:

> Hello!  I would like to migrate my linux (RedHat 7.1) server to FreeBSD.
> I am familiar with a lot of unix concepts, but am by no means a guru.  I
> need some information on how to make this transition as smooth as
> possible.
>
> I think I can handle backing up /home, /var/ftp and /var/www (where my ftp
> & httpd files are at) and I've done enough tweaking of apache I will have
> no problem transferring that configuration.
>
> The three things I'm not so sure about are:
> 1. my password file
> 2. sendmail config and the mail queue
> 3. my firewall & NAT rules
>
> I found this document, which seems to address #1:
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=981829+984101+/usr/local/www/db/text/2002/freebsd-questions/20020908.freebsd-questions
>
> And I found this OpenBSD document that seems to help with installing BSD
> on a linux machine (although I'm not sure how helpful it is because I'm
> using software RAID on linux):
> ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.1/i386/INSTALL.linux
>
> Anyone have any suggestions or links to some useful information?  I'd like
> to do this transition with a minimal amount of disruption (no lost mail,
> no changing of user accounts/passwords.)
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
>
> Nicholas?Hart

This will by no means answer all of your questions, but it will answer some,
and is a good read for any newcomer to FreeBSD.
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

#3 is going to be the trickiest item for you.  It involves a kernel recompile
and converting your ipchains or iptables rulesets over to ipf or ipfw format.
Using ipfw/nat is documented very nicely in the handbook however, as is
recompiling a kernel.

Josh