Date:      Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:25:39 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Generic Player <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How do you people listen to mp3s?

On Sun, Jul 02, 2000 at 01:40:10PM -0400, Generic Player wrote:
> I can't manage to find an mp3 player that works under freebsd
> 4.0-release.  They all skip horribly any time the system accesses the
> disk at all,

What disk(s) do you have. I've noticed other people reporting this
problem and they all seem to be using IDE disks. I'm using 4-STABLE,
xmms 1.2.1 (which is an improvement over 1.0.1(?) for skipping BTW)
and UW SCSI disks. I'm listening to an mp3 and also re-building the
locate(1) database (a very disk intensive activity) and I haven't
heard it skip yet. Curiously scrolling up and down a big web page in
Netscape is almost guaranteed to make it skip (although nothing
excessive).

IDE disks, especially without UDMA, use a lot of CPU resources so I
guess this could explain it.

> the only one I can get to play smoothly is kmp3, by turning
> the buffer up to max.  But it randomly crashes and then won't start
> again unless I reboot the machine.  A stable OS is no good if there are
> no stable programs for it right?  What programs do you use, or is it a
> 4.0-release issue maybe?
>
> Once again, all help is greatly appreciated
> Generic Player

  If I buy a copy of WinDelete, and it doesn't delete Windows,
  am I entitled to my money back?