Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:19:24 +0100
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        "Morse, Richard E." <REMORSE@PARTNERS.ORG>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NTPd install question

"Morse, Richard E." wrote:

> Hi!  Perhaps I'm just blind, but once I've done 'make && make install' in
> /usr/ports/net/ntp, where do I find instructions for how to do the rest of the
> install?  The port doesn't seem to have installed anything in /usr/local/etc,
> nor to have modified anything in /etc/rc.conf, so I'm wondering how to enable
> it...

This is what I've put in my /etc/rc.conf-file to have the ntpd daemon running:
xntpd_enable="YES"
xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g"

Also I did create a ntp.conf which resides in the /etc directory.

I don't even think I had to compile /usr/ports/net/ntp as it seems to be in the
system already: /usr/sbin/ntpd. If compiled and installed I guess it would be
somewhere in the /usr/local directory, which it isn't.

> Thanks,
> Ricky

You're welcome and I hope this was of some help. :-)

Best regards,
Paul