Date:      Mon, 01 Sep 1997 09:33:35 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysinstall (was Re: Conclusion to "NT vs. Unix" debate)

> On Sun, 31 Aug 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > Let's take sysinstall for example, something which you say has a
> > confusing GUI with a poor selection model.  I agree with you.
> > sysinstall's UI is a festering heap of trash which annoys me, its
> > principle author, probably more than anyone.  Why is it so evil?
> > Because it uses libdialog(3) and a series of hand-rolled curses(3)
> > screens, the many limitations of those stemming from the general
> > unwieldyness of curses programming and my lack of time to sit down and
> > write a whole bunch of advanced curses widgets like scrolling list
> > boxes or expanding lists.
>
> Indeed there are numerous mechanical glitches in the interface
> that are annoying and can be attributed to a less than stunning
> UI library, but some larger scale navigation problems are not
> really toolkit related.
>
> Particularly disorienting is the behavior of the "Cancel"
> buttons, or the lack of a "back" button.

These are also "features" of the UI, believe it or not.

> When proceeding through
> the various setup screens, if a mistake is made you usually end
> up going right back to the start and have to proceed through the
> whole process again.  A "back" button also provides the essential
> ability to review the installation options before pressing the GO
> button.

As an issue of curiosity, and for general review does the sequence :

 - step sequentially (in some hopefully logocal order) through all the
    required configuration dialogs
 - present the gathered information in summary form, with functionality
   to jump immediately to a particular editing screen if a parameter is
   found to be wrong (by the user)
 - offer a proceed/cancel selection

come closer to the ideal for the gather/review/confirm cycle?

mike