Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:08:28 -0400
From:      Michael Joyner <mjoyner@vbservices.net>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nsupdate(8) rc.d Script

M$ DNS runs on top of M$ AD

I am hoping your script (not tested it yet) will save me the hassle
of having to manually put the unit's hostname into /etc/dhclient.conf.

It would probably be nice if dhclient had an option to auto-send the
machine's assigned hostname in /etc/rc.conf to the DHCP server (M$)
as the M$ DHCP server, if set to, will auto-update the M$ DNS to add the
machine's hostname to DNS.

If there is such an option, I can't find it. :)

I am thinking that your script may allow a simple '="YES"' entry in
/etc/rc.conf and have it directly update the DNS records whether the
machine is using static IP or dynamic IP, which would be *extremely*
nice in a M$ controlled network.

Now if only someone would come up with "pam_add_user_to_master.passwd"
along with a "pam_make_user_a_home_dir" upon a successful KRB
authenticated login. :) (or maybe a pam_root_preexec ala SAMBA)

Maybe even a pam_cache_credentials for laptops. :)