Date:      Sat, 30 May 1998 09:46:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        dstacey@bigpond.com (David Stacey)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where do you download the OS?

The page doesn't link to the files because you may want to download all of
them.  It's too much work for us.  The minimal is the bin distirbution at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/bin/* (all files in the
directory).  Then, you'll need boot.flp at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/floppies/boot.flp, and
fdimage (if on Win).  I don't know the exacp path of that one.  The
manpages are also recommended at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/manpages/*.

Our website clearly explains this.  Many people have downloaded and
installed FreeBSD without any questions on *what* to get, but rather *how*
to get something to work :-)

> I want to get freebsd, but it seems that you have made it so difficult that I wont be able to use it.
>
> firstly, which directories do I need to get this thing to work?  Your web page just points to ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE which is of no use to me whatsoever.  The web page should have links to each file that is required for the inst
all process, or at least a page telling you which directories to grab a hold of.

> could you please give me the absolute ftp address where I can locate all of the files required to get it running?
>
> also, is there anywhere in australia where I can order the CD?
>
> thanks.

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.