Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 2002 09:49:26 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <gehicks@gehicks.dyndns.org>
To:        "Manuel Kasper" <mk@neon1.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Guide to reducing FreeBSD (a.k.a miniBSD :)

Very cool stuff!

One thing I do here that is helpful...

I've shot myself in the foot more than once playing around with
PicoBSD.  The builds spam your src/ directories with .o files and
as one is hacking around it's easy to forget about patched src
when building for your local system.

For a blunderbuss approach it is easy enough to do *BSD hacking
in a chroot environment.  Although it takes a fair amount of space the
artifacts leftover from a 'make release' are ideal for this purpose.

Just do a make release into, for example, /usr/local/release and chroot
into that directory using /bin/sh as the program to execute.   Then you
can hack and modify to your heart's content without affecting the root
installation.

I suppose a 'live filesystem' image would work for this purpose too.

Thanks for an excellent contribution.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
gehicks@gehicks.dyndns.org