Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:03:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      scotty@klement.dstorm.net
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pcm0/AC'97 sound problems

I don't know if this is helpful, but, I've got an an ABIT VT6X4 mainboard
that uses the same apollo 133A chipset.  My audio device comes up as:

pcm0: <VIA VT82C686A AC'97 Audio> port 0xe400-0xe403,0xe000-0xe003,0xdc00-0xdcff
 irq 11 at device 7.5 on pci0

All I needed was "device pcm" in the kernel config, and to a " cd /dev &&
sh ./MAKEDEV snd0" to make the device.

amp works great for me!   did you check for address/irq conflicts?