Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 15:44:21 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>, "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>, jas@flyingfox.com (Jim Shankland), freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI again: Asus SC200 vs. Adaptec 2940

>Well, anyway: I know that you can't accept being kept back
>for too long, and I appreciate the changes you have prepared
>and hope they'll be intergrated soon. And I know there are
>dependencies ...

Well, I haven't been held back too much.  I know have the generic SCSI
layer performing all tagged-queueing processing.  Basically the lower level
drivers read the "tag_type" field out of the scsi_xfer structure and if
non-zero send it to the device.  I've also implemented bowrite which
converts sync writes to ordered async writes giving around a 10%
improvement on some of the ad-hoc benchmarks I've tried.  Its not as fast
as mounting async (that does delayed writes), but I'll take a safe 10%
improvement any day.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations