Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Subject:   RE: Good Lord, Commercial Linux

Hi "Jamil J. Weatherbee";  On 01-Oct-97 you wrote:

>  That's not what I was really saying. I would be willing to pay a few
>  hundred dollars for freebsd on the alpha with some of the productivity
>  tools (notably staroffice) that caldera linux has, I wonder also if
>  caldera has hacker the 2.0.29 kernel to make i a bit more stable?
>  What about that UNIX compliance tests like the now defunct LinuxFT
>  product
>  which I think was a really good product, of very high quality from what
>  saw.

i apologize for mixing sarcasm, humor (Nah, wasn't all that funny), and
seriousness.  As a packaged, commercial O/S, these packages are good.
I still like FreeBSD installation better.  The rest is pretty much the same
to me.  Kernel-wise, I think i trust FreeBSD kernel better than Linux,
although performance is, well, six of this, half a dozen of the other;
Both are tuned very well.

The Alpha bit;  I am, professionally, very interested in this.  Contact me
privately if you want to help.

---

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro                                                 Atlas Telecom
Senior Architect         14355 SW Allen Blvd., Suite 130 Beaverton OR 97005
Shimon@i-Connect.Net                                  Voice:   503.799.2313