Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 2004 22:36:33 +0100
From:      Lewis Thompson <lewiz@fajita.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sil0680 causes panic on 5.2.1-p5.

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ

Hi,

I've just bought a Silicon Image Sil 0680 RAID controller.  I will only
be using it as an IDE controller (i.e. without any RAID functionality).

  This causes a panic on 5.2.1-p5 (GENERIC):

atapci1: <SiL 0680 UDMA 133 controller>
port 0xcc00-0xcc0f,0xd000-0xd003,0xd400-0xd407, 0xd800-0xd803,
0xdc00-0xdc07 mem 0xcfffbf00-0xcfffbfff irq 5 at device 9.0 on pic0
atapci1: [MPSAFE]

cpuid =3D 0, apic id =3D 00

fault virtual address =3D 0xd12f8000
fault code =3D supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer =3D 0x8:0xc04d2627
stack pointer =3D 0x10:0xc219a0
frame pointer =3D 0x10:0xc219ac
code segment =3D base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type =3D 0x1b
	     =3D DPL 0, pres1, def32 1, grain 1
processor eflags =3D interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL =3D 0
current process =3D 0 (swapper)
trap number =3D 12
cpuid =3D 0;

  As you can see I just wrote this down and typed it up (so there may be
errors!).  If somebody needs meaningful numbers please ask me and I will
go over and double-check everything.

  I have tried the obvious things -- removing other PCI devices, etc.  I
was unable to disable the onboard IDE controller because this card
doesn't seem to support booting.

  The twist is this:  there is no panic if I boot 4.9-rc4 (disk1,
install) or 5.1-RELEASE (disk1, install).  It is specific to 5.2.1-p5
(or at least between 5.1-R and this).

  I verified this with a GENERIC kernel (compiled by me) and a custom
kernel (unneeded devices removed and some firewall stuff added).

  Please ask for any details -- I've not included a dmesg since it would
be of the machine without the card plugged in.  I can provide anything
(but I've not used kernel debugging before).

  Any help with this would be much appreciated,

-lewiz.

--=20
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple@lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz@jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ--