Date:      Wed, 05 Jan 2000 06:06:39 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Alwyn Schoeman <alwyns@littlecruncher.prizm.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Error after upgrading to 3.4 + maybe 2000?

In message <20000105113157.A4140@littlecruncher.prizm.dhs.org>, Alwyn
Schoeman
writes:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using 3.4 on a 486DX2-66 with 8 Mb ram.  Just before the end of last
> year I started getting the following error messages as mail:
>
> CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.
>
> This happens for atrun, newsyslog and adjkerntz?
>
> Can anyone shine any light on a solution or maybe fixes in later versions?

I had this problem under 3.1.  I also had inetd get into a confused
state where it too would print messages of junk pointers, then close
connections.  Upgrading the machine from 32 MB to 80 MB fixed the
problem for me.

From what I could tell, heavy VM load, e.g. high scan & page out rates,
not necessarily at the time of the error, usually prior to, would
usually precede the errors.

Sun/DEC Team, UNIX Group    Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD
Province of BC