Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:50:21 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, xmcd@amb.org
Subject:   Re: Help needed for ioctl error in xmcd/cda with IDE CD-ROM

On Sat, Dec 04, 1999 at 07:36:28PM -0600, Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> I just upgraded my CD-ROM drive to an Acer 640-P (50x max).  It works
> fine with cdcontrol, wmcdplay and xmms (using libcdaudio.so), and xmcd
> and cda can read the disc table of contents and do a CDDB lookup just
> fine, BUT...it won't play any tracks (in xmcd or cda)!
>
> I keep getting the error:
>
> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/racd0c: cmd=CDIOCPLAYMSF errno=5

Unfortunately I can not help you but I wanted to add another data point
for someone who might be able to. I have a Hi-Val 48x CD-ROM drive
that exhibits the same behavior. Interestingly, kscd (KDE) has the
same problem but gtcd (GNOME) does not. With kscd I get the following
appearing on the xconsole, "acd0: read_toc failed". The device is
correctly set for /dev/racd0c so this seems like an odd message. With
xmcd I get the same error as you reported. I can also add that xcd works
but xcd does not do CDDB lookups. My old 4x CD-ROM works fine.

--
Glenn Johnson
gljohns@bellsouth.net