Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 2014 08:29:21 +0000
From:      Paul Thornton <prt@prt.org>
To:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <ae@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Changes between 9.1 and 9.2 affecting boot/loader/gpt discs

Hi

On 21/03/2014 06:03, Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:

> Your first sector contains several partitions and this is why the loader
> ignores partition table. From one side MBR has the PMBR partition, that
> needed for GPT, but PMBR isn't correct in your case.
> Actually your configuration is similar to what called Bootcamp, but it
> isn't correct bootcamp :)

I know - the only way we can make it "work" is to have both MBR
partition table and GPT table.  These are in sync, so it shouldn't
matter which one you get :-)

The only proper fix for this on Mac hardware is to make it all EFI boot
properly, but I gave up on that last time I tried (admittedly >1yr ago,
so it may be better now).  Apple don't support a full UEFI environment
which is unhelpful.

> I modified the code to be less strict for you case. Can you try this loader?
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~ae/loader

Yes, this fixes it for 9.2 - I'll check 10 later but they both show the
same problem so I think it will fix it.  Thank you very much.

What was the source change that fixed it?

Thanks very much for the help,

Paul.

--
Paul Thornton