Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 2020 21:09:41 -0600
From:      Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Strange outcome: different outcomes from portmaster and pkg upgrade

I normally build my ports using portmaster. ( Old habits die hard.)

Recently, I've been having problems with a handful of ports failing to
upgrade. So, I've been fixing those ports by using pkg upgrade.

When I run portmaster, it says I have three ports to upgrade. When I run
pkg upgrade, it says everything is up to date.

===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
         Upgrade cups-2.2.12 to cups-2.2.13
         Upgrade gnutls-3.6.11.1 to gnutls-3.6.12
         Upgrade ffmpeg-4.2.1_4,1 to ffmpeg-4.2.2_7,1

===>>> Proceed? y/n [y] n

===>>> If you would like to upgrade or install some, but not
        all of the above try adding '-i' to the command line.
[root@colo11 ~]# pkg upgrade cups
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

It does the same for gnutls, but then I get a different result for ffmpeg.

[root@colo11 ~]# pkg upgrade ffmpeg
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
The following 4 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

New packages to be INSTALLED:
         aom: 1.0.0.2873
         dav1d: 0.5.2_1
         opus: 1.3.1

Installed packages to be UPGRADED:
         ffmpeg: 4.2.1_4,1 -> 4.2.2,1

Number of packages to be installed: 3
Number of packages to be upgraded: 1

The process will require 10 MiB more space.
18 MiB to be downloaded.

Proceed with this action? [y/N]:

What's going on here?

--