Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 20:50:30 +1000
From:      Phil Homewood <pdh@bit.net.au>
To:        Andy Coates <andy@friends-tv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4-RELEASE and 3.4-STABLE

Andy Coates wrote:
> I recently obtained the 3.4-RELEASE ISO and installed that on my system. I'm
> now a little confused with regards to the 3.4-STABLE release - am I right in
> thinking that the RELEASE was a snapshot of STABLE at a certain point (Dec
> 1999)?

Correct.

> If this is the case, and I wish to make my system STABLE, are there any
> listings of the files which have been changed since RELEASE, so I don't have
> to get *all* the files?

Not that I am aware of. Read on...

> I'm on a modem at home, so getting the whole src tree would take me ages -
> however I could FTP the files from university and bring them home - would
> that be okay and just copy the src tree I downloaded into my current src dir
> and "make world" ?

If you have a /usr/src tree already, you should take a look at CVSup.
Install it, create a supfile (/usr/share/examples/cvsup will set you
on the right road), tweak your /etc/make.conf and "cd /usr/src; make
update".

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html#CVSUP