Date:      Fri, 7 Apr 2000 12:01:35 +0600
From:      Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat <mojahed@citechco.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sudden signal 11s

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 11:29:32AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday,  5 April 2000 at 16:26:37 +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> > any idea what could cause this:
> >
> > Apr  5 15:43:18 platinum /kernel: pid 14338 (sshd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> > Apr  5 15:50:11 platinum /kernel: pid 15991 (sshd), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
>
> Strange.  What version of FreeBSD is this?

I experienced the same problem as the original poster a couple of
weeks ago.  The machine would run smoothly, then suddenly an
application would give sig11.  All major apps after that gave
sig11 ... until a reboot.  I run Linux on the same machine, no
problem at all.

If it is a hardware a problem, how can a reboot cure it suddenly.
Most interestingly, after having the problem showing up
intermittently for 2/3 days, the problem went away.  The weather
is warmer now and I checked the fan, nothing unusual.

FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE, Pentium 200 MMX.

--
Mojahed