Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 1996 13:29:06 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        rjs@infi.net (Ron Steele)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: printing with pcnfs

> I am trying to set up printing from DOS using pcnfs and Novell's tcp/ip
> software.  Whenever I do a

> I get
>         invalid remote device
>
> return on the pc's command line.  This seems to work fine on our HP server,
> but I understand some sort of Novell software was installed there.
>
> Some questions come to mind.  First, is this possible, or is some sort
> of specialized Novell server software required?  If it is possible,
> does the file system used for spooling by pcnfs need to be exported with
> -alldirs to allow pcnfs to mount the required directories?  Does anyone
> have a canned discription of how to do this?  Sounds like handbook
> material, which I would be glad to write if I ever this working.

The PCNFS "net use" for printers established a redirection for the
local printer to the remote host using lpr protocol.

That is, if you are using TCP/IP print services, they are BSD lpr
protocol based.

Most likely the error message is correct: "invalid remote device".

You must establish a printer in the /etc/printcap for the name of
the device that you will attempt to access.

My first guess with this little information would be case sensitivity;
that is, I expect that the DOS "net" command is upcasing the name before
sending it out on the wire.

You should examine the /etc/printcap file on your HP machine, and
correct you BSD machine's /etc/printcap as necessary.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.