Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:23:47 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>, Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

>     Next time I'm just going to commit the damn idea without discussing
>     it first.

I'm sure that's just sarcasm in action, but lest anyone reading this
be tempted to take it seriously as an option, I'll just say that
taking this approach is virtually guaranteed to have someone else
simply back out your changes (also without discussion since discussion
clearly wasn't desired) and before you know it, -core's got a
grievance on its hands and various other committers are lining up to
take one side or the other, just like a schoolyard fight.

Having people disagree with you, sometimes vehemently, is part of the
dynamics of our little group project and it's actually of great
benefit, even when it frustrates the hell out of the Lone Wolf that
most of us have lurking somewhere inside us.

The recent discussion, for example, pissed me off so much that I was
finally motivated to re-write large chunks of sysinstall and, in so
doing, virtually eliminate certain bodies of code which were truly
abhorrent to the eye (checkLabels(), in particular, was so hideous
that I'm now ashamed to have written it in the first place).  I doubt
that I would have been motivated to do so under any other
circumstances and a number of the points made during the recent
discussion have also had a very positive effect on the [re]design
process.

- Jordan