Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2008 12:55:34 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        David Southwell <david@vizion2000.net>
Cc:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upcoming ABI Breakage in RELENG_7

--lYtTbTuCUQxZgETo

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 02:47:34AM -0700, David Southwell wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2008 08:45:45 Ken Smith wrote:
> > Normally the FreeBSD Project tries very hard to avoid ABI breakage in
> > "Stable Branches".  However occasionally the fix for a bug can not be
> > implemented without ABI breakage, and it is decided that the fix
> > warrants the impact of the ABI breakage.  We have one of those
> > situations coming along for RELENG_7 (what will become FreeBSD 7.1).
> > The ABI breakage should only impact kernel modules that are not part of
> > the baseline system (those will be patched by the MFC) which deal with
> > advisory locks.  As such the impact should not cause many people
> > problems.
> >
> > The work that will be MFCed fixes issues with filesystem advisory locks,
> > and moves the advisory locks list from filesystem-private data
> > structures into the vnode structure.
> >
> > The MFC will be done by Kostantin Belousov some time this coming Friday
> > (August 1st, 2008) if you have concerns and want to watch for it.
> >
> > Thanks.
> Sometimes information gets posted to this list on the assumption that eve=
ryone=20
> understand what the writer means.
>=20
> This is one of those occasions!!
>=20
> For those of us who are not as well informed and experienced  as others c=
ould=20
> someone please explain what is meant by an  ABI breakage, its implication=
s=20
> and how to deal with them.

The small glitch in the announcement is use of the ABI =3D=3D Application
Binary Interface term, that is better be replaced by KBI =3D=3D Kernel Bina=
ry
Interface. No usermode breakage is expected to result from MFC. The
only consequence is the need to adopt some out-of-tree filesystems, not
that I am aware of any ATM.

If you are the author or maintainer of such module, then you need to watch
this out.

--lYtTbTuCUQxZgETo

--lYtTbTuCUQxZgETo--