Date:      Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:12:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        Torsten Blum <torstenb@vmunix.org>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, shige@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zsh re-org

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Will Andrews wrote:

> [ Annelise: what do you mean, "keep the user's history"? Did you look at
>   the zshall/zshenv manpages? I keep user history with env. vars. ]

What I've got in the .zshrc is the following:

PS1="%m %t %6c %# "
SAVEHIST=1000
HISTFILE="$HOME/.history"
export HISTFILE
export APPEND_HISTORY=1
alias su='fc -W $HOME/.history && \su -m'
export  HISTORY=$HOME/.history

I then have a symbolic link in /root from .history to
/usr/local/home/andrsn/.history.  This works so that when I su
to root, the up arrow recalls commands issued as andrsn.  It
also changes the last element of the prompt from % to #, and
the rest of the PS1 line works as well (machine, time, location).

I suppose I could read these manpages and figure out the new
stuff, assume it's capable at all, but then I would have spent
quite a lot of time for the same functionality I have now.

One could argue that a new (developmental) version hasn't been
around as long and doesn't have the same variety of support
documents available for it that a "release" version has--not
just the manual pages but other stuff as well.  Since there is
a cost in time to changing versions, there's an argument for
sticking with "release" until the community that supports this
shell abandons it for a new version.

But this is just my view, and I can manage regardless.

	Annelise