Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 1996 11:03:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marat Fayzullin <fms@freeflight.com>
To:        dk+@ua.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fMSX (MSX emulator) port uploaded

*Yawn* It's nice to be home after 3 weeks in the airplanes.

On Sat, 19 Oct 1996, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:
> - compiled without debugging (see -DDEBUG in patches/patch-aa)
I would supply a separate fmsx-debug version as it comes
handy sometimes.

> - Z80.c takes quite a long to compile with -O2
Use -O3 and some other options mentioned in the Makefile. It does
make the code somewhat faster (at least for me).

> - the dasm (Z80 disassembler), rddsk, and wrdsk (read/write MSX-DOS disks)
>   executables are installed with names prefixed with fmsx- because I felt
>   their names are too generic.
Point taken.

> - the emulator tries to open system ROM files in current directory, so
>   I have renamed it to fmsx.bin and wrote a small wrapper script which
>   chdirs to /usr/local/share/fmsx beforehand (btw, this is preferred place
>   to store new ROMs since you would have to type full pathname otherwise)
Yep.

> - you need to run under 8-bit X server (see emulator docs)
You may want to recompile with Arnold Metselaar's screen drivers:
then it will work on any X, but it will be somewhat slower.

> - to hear sound, you need working /dev/audio, a _fast_ CPU (my 486 DX2-80
>   is not fast, but acceptable, P90 is sure enough) and -sound option.
Yep.

> - if you use rtprio(1) to ensure the emulator wouldn't be slowed
>   down by other non-important tasks (like cron jobs or people logging to
>   your machine ;-), make sure to also set same priority for X server and
>   window manager (it really helps!)
Never did that.

> - to run MegaROM games, you need -msx2+ and -rom 1|2|3 depending
>   on the ROM type (experiment);
Nope. Use -msx2 (not -msx2+) and the ROM type from 0 (Konami universal)
to 5 (ASCII 16kB). The complete list is printed on 'fmsx -help'.

> - if you feel like programming in MSX-Basic, run fmsx without filename
>   arguments;
Use -diska/-diskb. You won't be able to save otherwise. :)

Marat