Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:13:23 +0000
From:      Frank Lee <frank@franklee.net>
To:        Andreas Kohn <andreas.kohn@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to mount USB drive in FreeBSD 5.0?

On Sunday 28 September 2003 20:57, Andreas Kohn wrote:
> It doesn't even look like your usb drive is plugged in? Even if umass
> hadn't accepted it, ugen should have had attached (outputting some
> messages)

ughh..... well, it helps to plug it *all the way* in. :-( It's new and I=20
didn't want break it...

The message I get is:
umass0: Cypress Semiconductor USB2.0 Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.01, addr =
2
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)

The system just halts there...

If I turn it (usb drive) off or unplug it, a bunch of other messages scro=
ll up=20
and it tells me that it's going to reboot...

> [assuming that umass hat attached to the usb drive]
> There should be a new device node daX[sY] in /dev, which you should
> mount.
> mount -t msdos /dev/da0* /mnt/usb
>
> * Can't remember whether one needed to specify a slice

Since it stops at the "umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)" messa=
ge,=20
there's no /dev/da0* :

# ls -l /dev/d*
crw-------  1 root  wheel  173,   0 Sep 29 05:41 /dev/devctl
#

Is there a way to have FreeBSD dumb it (usb drive) down to 1.1? The box s=
ays=20
it (usb drive) supports 1.1 and 2.0). My laptop is only 1.1.

Thank you for the help!