Date:      Thu, 3 Jun 2004 13:00:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      aussie gal <freebsder51@yahoo.com>
To:        zera holladay <zera_holladay@yahoo.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network config on FreeBSD 5.1 - Help!

This is the set-up:

I have a High-Speed Internet connection. What you would call a DSL modem connection.  I have the main modem connection hooked up to a 4-port hub.  Two ports are connected to WinXP boxes and the third one is connected to my freebsd box into the ethernet port supplied by the Asus motherboard (it has a build-in RJ port).  I have the other two XP boxes up and running but my freebsd box is (as you can see) struggling.

Longterm prospects:

1) After I can get freebsd networked, I would like to eventually install some security and then take over the world with a cluster of boxes designed by top secret software.  <evil grin>

2) <grin> Just kidding.  I want to set up a small network of computers running off of this freebsd server, a mail server, and a half decent web server with Perl/php/etc and maybe some other cook bells and whistles.  But yes, I will probably want some security via a firewall at some point as well.  Maybe sooner rather than later. But I first need to pick-up the networking fundementals

Btw, In the initial Sysinstall > Network configuation dialogs I specified that I did not want Ipv6 and that I wanted dchp.

For the "network configuration" screen i filled in the following:
Host:  host.name.com
domain: name.com
ipv4 gateway:  blank
Name server:  this is my isp's dns server's ip address

and for the "Configuration for Interface vr0" dialog I write:
ipv4 address: Blank
Netmask: 255.255.255.0 <- I just changed this to 255.255.0.0 as per your suggestion
extra options: blank

I hope this helps.  Any thoughts on how to help me find my IP address?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards,
Nav
zera holladay <zera_holladay@yahoo.com> wrote:
How do you connect (or want to connect) to your
network or to the internet? Do you have your own
private network and you connect through a gateway or
router, or do you have a DSL modem attached directly
to your ethernet card? You are not getting an IP
address and your netmask is for a very, very large
network. Networking is like cooking -- you have to
first decide what you want to cook with the
ingredients you have, then you have to get a recipe
and follow it.

-zh

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/config-network-setup.html