Date:      Fri, 15 Jan 1999 23:18:26 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        "Roy D. Fulton" <rfulton@net1plus.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using the floppy

Dan Langille wrote:

> On 15 Jan 99, at 22:19, Roy D. Fulton wrote:
>
> > I'm new to FreeBSD and am quite rusty with UNIX period.  I'm having
> > trouble trying to use the floppy.  Can anyone give me examples of the
> > commands needed to prepare, read, and write to a blank floppy, and also
> > how to use DOS floppies?
>
> I was trying the same thing last night.  I was told to do the following:
>
> format:                 fdformat /dev/rfd0
> disk label:     disklabel -w -r /dev/rfd0 fd1440
> new file system:        newfs /dev/rfd0
>
> I've been told to do the above, then mount it.  Then you can treat it like
> any other file system.  Use cp to copy, mv to move, etc.
>
> mount floppy:   mount  /dev/fd0 /mnt
> mount DOS floppy:       mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
>
> The above commands allow you to access the contents of the floppy via the
> /mnt directory.
>
> and remember to unmount:
>
> umount /mnt
>
> Hope ths helps.
>
> --
> Dan Langille
> The FreeBSD Diary
> http://www.FreeBSDDiary.com/freebsd
Sorry if you receive this message 2 times: my netscape crashed when I
was posting it for the first time.
See:
http://www.daemonnews.org/199811/newbies.html
http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/freebsd/xfloppy_drive.html
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.aei.ca/~malartre/]
[French piss me off - Cartman, South Park]