Date:      Fri, 04 Oct 2002 14:05:17 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd error

> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 22:49:45 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, the wise Oliver Fromme spoke, and said:
>
> > Marco Beishuizen <mbeis@wxs.nl> wrote:
> >  > That did the trick. I wrote a file to the cd and fixate worked correctly.
> >  > At least I think it did, because when I want to mount the cd to look at
> >  > it, mount gives me an "invalid argument" error.
> >  >
> >  > So my new problem is how to access a cd-rw with data on it.
> >
> > What kind of file did you write to the CD?  Of course, it
> > has to be an image of a supported filesystem (usually an
> > ISO9660 image), otherwise you wouldn't be able to mount it.
> > You can only mount filesystems.
> >
> > To create an ISO9660 filesystem image, use mkisofs (from
> > the ports collection).  Afterwards, use burncd to write
> > that image to a CD-R or CD-RW.
> >
> > You can, of course, write an arbitrary file (a .tar file or
> > whatever) to a CD, but then you can't mount it.  You can
> > read it back with dd, though.
> >
> > Regards
> >    Oliver
>
> Yes, I wrote an arbitrary file to the cd. A .pdf file actually. I already
> thought the mount error had something to do with a missing filesystem or
> something like that.
>
> I want to use the cd-writer to make periodic backups of important files.
> The easiest thing to do would be to just "copy" the files with burncd,
> like I did with the .pdf file. But it looks that I have to do a bit more
> than that to use the cd-writer as a backup medium.
>
> I think I have to learn more about mkisofs and creating images etc. :-)

Under V5 we should have UDF support. If that gets finished, you will
have exactly this ability. Last I heard ti could only read but most of
the write code had been completed. Until then, only ISO 9660 is
supported on CDs. I suggest that you write this with the Rockridge
extensions to allow "normal" file names.

The command I use for this is:
mkisofs -allow-lower-case -allow-multidot -d -L -r -o ~/newcd.iso path
burncd -f /dev/acd0c blank
burncd -f -s 4 /dev/acd0c data ~/newcd.iso fixate

This should do the trick. I suspect that I may have a couple of
redundant options in the mkisofs line as -r might imply one or more of
the others. Please read the man page for mkisofs as -L may not be
appropriate.

The resulting CD should mount and look "just like" the original files on
the UFS disk.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)