Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 07:39:31 +1100
From:      fb.h.ds@spamgourmet.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   PCI parallel port (2)

>Hi, I'm trying to install an additional lpt using PCI parallel port card NetMos Nm9805CV.
>The 4.7 kernel reports:
>pci0: <unknown card> (vendor=0x9710, dev=0x9805) at 20.0 irq 11
>How can I use it?
>Thanks.

Well, it works on Linux, what about FreeBSD?

This installation guide describes the procedure to install the Nm9705,Nm9735CV, Nm9805CV, Nm9715CV, Nm9835CV, Nm9755CV PCI parallel ports in Linux platform.

Linux kernel provide a 'parport' code to support parallel port (/dev/lp0,  /dev/lp1, /dev/lp2). This code provides the ability to share one port between multiple devices. And it is
loadable when kernel is running.

The 'parport' code is split into two parts : generic (which deals with port sharing) and architecture-dependent eg. X86, SPARC. (which deals with actually using the port). Thus,
please take the following steps to install 'parport' module!

Check the on-board parallel port's hardware resources

Most likely each motherboard has a built-in parallel port. And its hardware resources are settable with BIOS utility.

Enter the command  more  /proc/pci

The response is similar to the following

			Bus 0, Device 11, function 0:
			Serial controller : Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 01).
			Vendor id=9710, Device id=9705
					Device id=9735
					Device id=9805
					Device id=9815
					Device id=9835
					Device id=9855

			Medium devsel. Fast back-to-back capable. IRQ 11

			Board with Nm9805CV part
			I/O at 0xc000 [0xc001]	printer port
			I/O at 0xc400 [0xc401]	ECP/EPP config registers
			I/O at 0xc800 [0xc801]	not used
			I/O at 0xd000 [0xd001]	not used
			I/O at 0xd400 [0xd401]	not used
			I/O at 0xd800 [0xd801]	not used

Install 'parport' module

To load the generic 'parport' code

Type 			insmod parport.o

To load the architecture-dependent code to tell 'parport' code

			insmod parport_pc.o  io=0x378,0xc000,0xc800
			irq=7, irq=11, none

			or

			insmod parport_pc.o  io=0x378,0xc000,0xc800
			irq=7,11,none

You have three PC-style ports, one at 0x378 with IRQ 7, one at
0xc000 with  IRQ11, one at 0xc800 with no IRQ.

Check the attached printer device [optional]

Once the architecture-dependent part of the paraport code is loaded into the kernel. You could enter the following command

 			insmod parport_probe.o

To check any attached devices and log a message similar to

			parport0: Printer, epson

Then 			/dev/lp0, /dev/lp1 and /dev/lp2 are ready for service