Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 09:27:44 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2, 3.0 pkg_manage - where are you :-(

As Jamie Bowden wrote:

> Shame that seems to be broken.  On three different installs now, two over
> ftp, and one from a cd I burned, sysinstall will freeze during package
> installation.  Everything seems to be fine, and it starts installing
> packages okay, but it will freeze up after about 10 packages or so.

Hmm.  What says your console (Alt-F2)?  If it says ``out of
processes'', i wouldn't be surprised.  sysinstall runs as init, but
i've seen the above one time as well, due to there being many zombies
around.  Apparently, sysinstall isn't very interested in the death of
its children.  OTOH, it _sometimes_ is interested, and that was enough
to defeat the idea to install a global SIGCHILD handler.  (Been there,
done that.)

--
cheers, J"org