Date:      12 Feb 99 14:53:23 EST
From:      net work <1500354@usa.net>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

MY system ....
Pentium-75
ram-8 megs
Hard-dirve 1 gig
dual boot...
win-95 was on the HD first, then...
FreeBSD-3.0-19990208-STABLE was added recently

Operating system - 'FreeBSD-3.0-19990208-STABLE'

The problem ....

Initially i hadn't installed the *ports collection* (HD space concerns) and
decided i would install the ports i needed as time went on.  When i first
attempted to install vnc, it told me it 'couldn't find the make files.'  Not
even after rebooting.  Also when i tried to cd to the directories where the
'make files' reside, /usr/share/mk AND /usrports/Mk
the system responded "no such directory" Which now i am told has to be there
or the system will NOT boot.  In a last ditch effort to
to install the 'vnc' port, I thot, "maybe i need something from the ports
collection and started downloading it.  While downloading
the ports collection, a nick on irc said what i was doing shouldn't be
necessary. so i aborted the download.  And tried the 'make install' from
/usr/ports/net/vnc yet again.  Now it wants to work!

Now that it seems it wants to work, the following is happening;

I get the following error when i use the command 'make install'
in the /usr/ports/net/vnc ports directory;

/usr/bin/tar: archive EOf not on block boundary

After searching the questions & Stable maillist archives,
i have only found 2 hits with this error stated in them
and no public posting of a response.  Would you be so kind,
as to help with this error?

I have seen one other odd-ity / problem  but have not yet
been able to reproduce them as yet.

E.G. while coming out of,the screen saver *blank screen*
the complete OS froze on me. to the point of me having to
shut the power down. <-- At this time i was logged in to
tty0.  Everything i typed, was like i was typing a letter
(no prompt returned after pressing <enter> key  or
ctrl + c. <-[this only happened once]

long wind...  you think?