Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 07:00:14 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: just a server..

On 08/12/01 11:59 PM, Jim Mock sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 at 23:33:47 -0700, Owen wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I am just trying to get a really fast server running, so I chose
> > Apache.  I installed the apache files, and it seems to startup at
> > boot, because when I shutdown, it says it is shutting down the Apache
> > daemon. I couldn't get Comanche to run in KDE, the .ob4 wouldn't
> > execute. My question is: does Apache run automatically right from boot
> > and then I would just edit the httpd.conf to setup a server?
>
> How did you install apache?  If you used the port, yes, it will start on
> boot.  Editing httpd.conf is all you need to do to configure it.  Btw,
> WTF is Comanche?

Hmm.  Comanche is (or was) a gui type interface for Apache
configuration (notice the native American tribe theme :).  However, I
was unaware it still exists.  As far as I can tell, it's not in the
ports, and I know it doesn't install with Apache.  How did you install
it?  If you are using an older version, keep in mind that Apache has
changed (added, whatever) some configuration directives in the last 4
or 5 releases.  The last version I recall Comanche working with is
1.3.12 or so.

And, IIRC, Comanche also only worked with the various configs before
Apache merged them back into a single config.

Just use vim.  If you screw something up at least you will have a clue
where the problem is.  If you use a gui config tool, you will never
know what it is changing.  Besides, the gui won't be as up to date as
the online docs, and will always have limitations.  The functionality
limitations are probably the reason most people have never heard of
Comanche.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

Maier's Law:
  If the facts do not conform to the theory, they must be disposed of.
    -- N.R. Maier, "American Psychologist", March 1960