Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 11:44:50 -0500
From:      greeves <sysadmin@mfn.org>
To:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Tim Gerchmez'" <fewtch@serv.net>
Subject:   RE: Fragmentation?

I don't know if there is an actual defrag utility for FreeBSD (although I'm
sure that Doug or someone will tell you if there is), so just in case you
have to do things "the old fashioned way"...

The "traditional" way to defrag a *nix native partition is to dd from your
(to be defragged) partition to a temporary area, and then back again (after
clearing the original space of all files of course!)
.
Granted, this is a *collossal* pain in the &#^$, but it is *very* fast, and
*totally* effective.

Realize in advance, that I myself am new to FreeBSD, being an old SVR3/4
admin (in the middle of a full SVR3/4 to FreeBSD 2.2.5 migration), so if it
turns out that I am lying :), we will *both* learn something new when someone
corrects _me_ !!!

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@mfn.org