Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 21:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        smp@csn.net
Cc:        nnd@itfs.nsk.su, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Make and SMP - what can be done ?

 * You've touched on a topic dear to my heart!  I took a stab at this once
 * and gave up for lack of knowledge of the .mk system and its subltlies.

Amen to the first sentence!  I haven't tried looking into this yet, I
might try after the "new world" dust settles as I'm quite interested
in this area.

 * I added JMAKEFLAGS= -j12 to /etc/make.conf, then added JMAKEFLAGS
 * to some of the lower level Makefiles, like the ones for libraries.
 * This worked nicely.  I found other Makefiles that just needed a little
 * more work on the dependancies, they sometimes need to be more explicit
 * in a parallel world. Things with YACC & LEX passes die horribly.

Ask Bruce.  He has gone through the tree many times and knows a lot of
things already.

Satoshi