Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 21:54:59 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
To:        Jas <jasartist@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: recovery of corrupted filesystem?

Jas wrote to FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG:

> Hi
>
> I hope this is the right list for this question...
>
> I have (had?) freeBSD 3.3 installed. Power to system
> went off without a shutdown command...on reboot of
> freeBSD as soon as kernel starts....i get a screen
> dump and the system re-boots.

This is a good reason to make your / partition read-only and move /var,
/usr and /tmp to separate filesystems.  Even if you don't want to go
read-only, still move /var /usr and /tmp elsewhere to avoid root
filesystem writes.  That way, your system will normally still boot (if
only in single user mode), and backup restores can be done more easily on
affected data elsewhere.

> trying kernel.GENERIC doesn't help. can't even get to
> the point to boot into single mode....

Your / filesystem is corrupt.  You will probably need to newfs and
reinstall, then do a backup restore.

> I booted with the fixit CDROM and was able to mount
> the drive and I see that /usr directory appears
> empty...looks hosed?

No, /usr is most likely a separate filesystem, and the fixit CDROM won't
mount it by default.  You'll need to mount it yourself.  This may also
apply to /var, and any other filesystems/mount points you have defined.

> Is this system recoverable? I don't want to re-install
> without giving the recovery procedure the old college
> try....

> Suggestions appreciated.....

Your safest and most direct bet would be to newfs the corrupted
partition(s) and reinstall affected distributions.  Or, wipe the whole
thing clean, reinstall a complete system, and restore from backup.

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
  Systems Administrator, Accounts

  SaskNow Technologies     http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2