Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 16:44:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Are Bryne <are.bryne@communique.no>
To:        Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'make installworld' on empty machine (was: Making a local FreeBSD distribution?)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Robert Swindells wrote:

> > > Right, I am already doing that.  The problem is with entirely new
> > > machines that don't have any OS whatsoever on them.
>
> >I tried asking for this feature on freebsd-conf (or -config ?) as a part
> >of sysinstall a while ago. I received no replies.
>
> >Isn't this feasible? It would sure be handy and a real time saver.
>
> What's wrong with booting from floppy, partition and label the disks
> then switch to the shell on VT4 and do the NFS mounts.
>
> This is what I do for new machines.

So do I. The 'problem' is that for "make installworld" to run, it first
needs several files that you must copy over from the buildserver. It's
this first and _avoidable_ step that I'd rather do without.

Are Bryne
Communiqué DA                            Phone:        +47 22 44 33 99
Parkveien 51b                            E-mail:   admin@communique.no
N-0256 Oslo                              URL: http://www.communique.no