Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 16:02:18 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: creating man 9f

As Darren Reed wrote:

> I'd like to nominate the following man pages for duplication into section
> 9f (kernel functions):

Duplication isn't too good.  I'm rather in favor of stub pages then,
with an .Xr to the section 3 pages.

> printf, vprintf (I'me sure there are some differences)

Quite a number.  Also, the related interfaces log(9), addlog(9),
uprintf(9), tprintf(9), etc. need to be mentioned.  Too many people
tend to use printf() where one of the alternate functions would be
better.  (Eg. using log(LOG_DEBUG, ...) for debug output doesn't
clutter the console.)

> putc
> free

free(9) is different from free(3), and is already covered in the
malloc(9) page.

> ...just to start the man9 section off.  Comments ?

`start' is nice. :-)

j@uriah 296% ls -1 /usr/share/man/man9 | wc -l
     147

> * - there's a noticable lack of the *nprintf functions from the kernel.
>     Given the number of buffer overflow problems and the trend towards their
>     use, shouldn't things like strncat & friends be put in the kernel too ?

If an abuser can abuse kernel functions, it doesn't matter whether
they've got an `n' in their name or not. ;-)

--
cheers, J"org