Date:      Mon, 08 Sep 1997 00:05:12 -0400
From:      Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jmb@FreeBSD.ORG

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > there is *not* reasone that i know of that a
> > >         "mail from:" address must be resolvable.
> >
> > Yes, there is.    The address in the SMTP "MAIL FROM" line is used for
> > bounce messages by sendmail.
>
> You are forgetting "MAIL FROM:<>", which is perfectly valid.

I was, but it's a document special case, but ignorable for my comments
as it's a "valid" address, which is to say the bit bucket.

-ahd-
--
Internet:       ahd@kew.com             Voice:          617-279-9810

"MS-DOS didn't get as bad as it is overnight -- it took over ten years
 of careful development."               - dmeggins@aix1.uottawa.ca