Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 13:21:51 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pippo@bellnet.ca
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports changes?

On Wednesday 05 February 2003 01:00 pm, pippo@bellnet.ca wrote:
> At 12:47 PM 2/5/2003 -0800, you wrote:

> > > OK, I understand. Only, problem seems to be that when I cvsup,
> > > nothing gets downloaded into the /usr/ports/games/kdegames3
> > > directory.... (all the other kde3 stuff was there...) so, I can't
> > > use portupgrade to update and may have to waste time & energy
> > > hacking something that should be simple enough... :(( I still
> > > don't understand what is going on...
> > > PJ
> >
> >All that should be in your kde3game directory is the following
> >ruby# ll
> >total 98
> >-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    654 Jan 28 15:19 Makefile
> >-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     66 Jan 28 15:19 distinfo
> >-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel     41 Nov  2  1997 pkg-comment
> >-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    123 Jul 18  2002 pkg-descr
> >-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  95614 Jan 28 15:19 pkg-plist
> >
> >If you had done a "make fetch" from /usr/ports/games/kdegames3 if
> > would have put kdegames-3.1.tar.bz2 in your
> > /usr/ports/distfiles/KDE directory. If you have a partial for 3.1
> > in there, things work very poorly.
> >
> >Now, a portupgrade -uf kde3games should have done the samething as
> > the "make fetch". Going to freebsd.org, however, was very similar
> > to bitching about not finding a new BMW at your local Mercedes
> > dealership.
>
> I hardly think I am bitching.
> What you don't seem to understand is that there is something wrong
> with either the cvsup site that feeds the ports directories or
> something else. I understand and am perfectly aware of where the
> files should go and how & where to find them. But, I am trying to use
> both portupgrade and cvsup. Now, if I empty the ports directories and
> run cvsup, then those directories will be populated with the files as
> you show above. However, on several tries at it, other directories
> were repopulated, but not the kdegames3. I am merely trying to
> understand what is going on... is it the cvsup? Granted, I have not
> yet tried a different cvsup site... I guess that's the next step. :))

I would tend to agree. I have had sites get out of sync and found that
changing would fix things.

> I have seen this problem before and have just had to wait until the
> repository has been straightened out.

I don't think I have ever been that patient. You can go to
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/games/kdegames3 and if your
kdegames port directory doesn't look exactly like that, then change
your cvsup mirror. It is broken. Just remember there is some latency
(up to an hour) between when the master cvs site is updated and it is
updated on your mirror.

Kent

> PJ
>
> >Kent