Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:56:55 -0300
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <freebsd@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with Bridging ... and bge devices under FreeBSD 7.x?

I'm trying to run a QEMU VM on top of a FreeBSD 7.x server ... I've tried the
exact same setup on my desktop, using 192.168.1.x and an fxp device, and it all
works perfectly, but as soon as I do this on another machine on a public IP,
I'm not getting any routing, I can't even ping it from the same machine ...

My first thought was  that there was an issue with IP aliases already on the
bge device, but tried doing the following:

ifconfig bridge0 destroy
ifconfig tap0 destroy
ifconfig fxp0 -alias 192.168.1.101
ifconfig fxp0 alias 192.168.1.101 netmask 255.255.255.255
ifconfig bridge0 create
ifconfig tap0 create
ifconfig bridge0 addm fxp0 addm tap0 up

on my desktop here and then starting up the qemu image, and all worked as
expected, so having an alias on the interface, before or after, doesn't make a
difference ... at least with the fxp device ...

Using VNC to connect to the VM, I can look at the interface, and it says it is
connected ... and the IP/Gateway are all set right for the network I'm on,
netmask is set to 255.255.255.0, same as on the 'private network' ...

Please note that when I say "it works" on my private network / desktop, I'm
using it to connect to my work computer, across the Internet, via Windows RDP,
and it works flawlessly ...

Looking at /var/log/messages, you can see the bridge being setup:

Oct 27 18:53:21 io kernel: bridge0: Ethernet address: ce:44:c7:1b:47:40

as well as the tap device:

Oct 27 18:53:25 io kernel: tap0: Ethernet address: 00:bd:96:ae:67:00
Oct 27 18:53:41 io kernel: tap0: promiscuous mode enabled

and the ethernet going promiscuous:

Oct 26 20:53:56 ganymede kernel: fxp0: promiscuous mode enabled

So, all I have left is that everything is being setup okay, but there is
something I'm missing here ... something with bridge<->bge, maybe?  I've even
tries to compare the output of 'ifconfig -a' as far as the bridge0 and tap0
devices are concerned, and other then the mac address, they look identical also

So, pointers to what I may be missing here?  a sysctl value that I need to set
for this interface?

Thanks ...

- --
Marc G. Fournier        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A. (http://www.hub.org)