Date:      Fri, 30 Apr 1999 09:07:14 +0200
From:      Rudi Opperman <rudi@askas.co.za>
To:        Jeff Vehrs <JWVEHRS@hewitt.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perl5 - make install failed!

hi Jeff

I have just experienced the same problem - some of my perl scripts where
bombing under perl4 so i tried to install perl5.5.2 from the ports
collection and it blew like you describe below.  My question is - do you
really need 5.5.2 ?  I was told it is unstable under 2.2.8 (this is what
i run) - so i downloaded the 5.4.4 archive, uncompressed it and
installed it by hand - quite simple.  All problems went away -so if you
don't need perl 5.5.2  - and perl5.4.4 will do just as well-  perhasp
this helps ?

bye
rudi