Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 02:23:06 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        dmaddox@sc.rr.com
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too much confusion over kernel building

"Donald J . Maddox" wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2001 at 10:27:04PM +1300, Dan Langille wrote:
> > On 18 Jan 2001, at 4:24, Donald J . Maddox wrote:
> >
> > > I agree.  Frankly, there is no reason I can think of where the use of
> > > buildkernel/installkernel would be in any meaningful way superior to
> > > the old method *except* in the case of a toolchain upgrade that requires
> > > new tools to build the new source.
> >
> > There is the added advantage that the "new" method involves fewer
> > steps. And That Is A Good Thing (tm), especially for people new to
> > FreeBSD.  If they get get a kernel to compile and work the first time,
> > without problems, it gives them a *big* boost.  The few steps, the hard
> > to mess up.
>
> For people new to FreeBSD, it's really not as simple as:
>
> # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>
> At this point, the newbie has already had to:
>
> # cd /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf
> # cp GENERIC MYKERNEL
> # vi MYKERNEL
> ...  Agonizes over incomprehensible options/devices ...
>
> All of this is required regardless of whether you use 'the old
> method' or 'the new method'.
>
> At this point, the newbie can:
>
> a)  # config MYKERNEL
>     # cd ../../compile/MYKERNEL
>     # make depend
>     # make
>     # make install
>
> b)  # cd /usr/src
>     # make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>     # make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
>
> Sure, b) has 2 less steps, but frankly, I think the difference is
> lost in the noise.  Actually creating a working custom config seems
> to be the showstopper for most folks.  In any case, talking about 2
> different ways of doing this is *sure* to confuse lots of people :)

The way I'm reading mods MFC'ed to Makefile.inc1 by jkh on 1 Dec 2000,
you can replace both of them with just

make kernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL

If you add KERNEL=MYKERNEL to your make.conf, it can simplify it to
just "make kernel". I created a script to do the full blown way
because I stood to high odds of flipping a letter in the middle and
haven't tried "make kernel" to see if it works.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA