Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 01:34:38 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        aledm@routers.co.uk (Aled Morris)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freefall.freebsd.org, admin@ftcnet.com, mrm@marmot.mole.org
Subject:   Re: USB (was Re: Hi-speed serial input for Pagesat HS-2000?)

Aled Morris stands accused of saying:

> All this talk of high speed serial and no one has mentioned USB?

It hasn't been hyped yet, so the clueless nothings haven't heard about
it, and those of us that have the spec have probably realised that
nobody is going to be rushing to produce hardware to talk to it in the
same price bracket as either async modem/TA's, or in the first
instance Ethernet units.

The code and hardware to talk USB aren't significantly simpler or
cheaper than the same components for Ethernet, and everything can talk
ethernet, wheras only a very small number of Intel-based PC's talk
USB.  I see no competition in the short to medium timeframe.

If you haven't retrieved and read _carefully_ the USB spec, I'd suggest
doing so before swallowing the dribble about it being the be-all and
end-all of desktop interfaces.  The lack of small silicon for target
applications at this stage is very worrying too; I'd much prefer to go
with one of (say) Crystal's new single-chip Ethernet solutions.