Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:22:47 +0000
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: some missing bits in multimedia/v4l_compat

--------------enigA42EE2655DF831FDA3BCF4C5

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 02:47:53PM +0000, Florent Thoumie wrote:
>> There might be some other places to ook for but here are a few:
>>
>> - http://perforce.freebsd.org/branchView.cgi?BRANCH=3Djulian%5fv4l
>> - http://perforce.freebsd.org/branchView.cgi?BRANCH=3Dflz%5fv4l
>> - recent hackers@ archives (since last summer IIRC)
>> - developers@ archives for licensing information
>>
>> I don't have much time to work on it these days but I'd like to hear
>> about further improvement. I'm looking forward to the day I'll be able=

>> to do video conferencing with my iSight on FreeBSD :-)
>=20
> having a working camera now, at least i can start debugging
> the applications.
>=20
> the only app i have found (though there may be more that i am
> not aware of) is ekiga and it does not seem to work.

That's the only app I know to do video conferencing as well. If you just
want to test your camera, you can also use camorama. I've made a port of
it few months ago [1].

> after a huge amount of time spent upgrating the zillion
> pagages it depends on, i first found that it did not see
> the camera because when pwlib was built, v4lcompat was not
> installed.
>=20
> Fixed that, it still did not see the camera because
> it looks for linux major/minor numbers (fixed, patch going
> to be committed soon).
>=20
> Fixed that, i could see the local image in the video window,
> but no video was sent across - not even in an ekiga<->ekiga
> setting.
>=20
>=20
> I am also experiencing other bugs with ekiga, e.g.
> it remembers the proxy even if it is not registered with it, somehow
> fails to exchange sip messages after the first connection,
> the usual partial failures in a natted environment,
> and finally the program does not exit when you ask it kindly.
> Ctrl-\ helps here.
>=20
> I suppose there are many linux assumptions in the code
> at various stages that silently fail when built on FreeBSD.

I guess those linux assumptions can be fixed one by one once we get
better support for cameras in FreeBSD. Anyway, it's nice to know people
are working on this. We're lagging behind Linux big times.

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~flz/local/ports/camorama-0.17.shar

--=20
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org