Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 11:57:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        perhaps@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Regression tests (was Re: A 3.0-current SNAP building machine has been found!)

> > I was actually against using "voting"; I prefer forcing developers to
> > verify that compiles work and the resulting code does not trivially
> > fail prior to it being committed.  That way the tree would always work;
> > the best you can get out of "voting" is "provided with high confidence
> > that it might work".
>
> Regression tests.  We really should have this integrated into the
> build system.

This is scary, in that it starts requiring developers to have "big iron".

The POSIX tests (for example) take a while to run.

[ ... ]

> Anyway; being able to do a 'make regress' on the entire FreeBSD
> source tree and know all new code and a lot of old code got tested
> would be a _good_ feeling.

Yes, very much so!  I would limit its application, though; if the
CVS went "split tree with snapshot", then the process could be
automated, but it's probably too much overhead otherwise.  8-(.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---