Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 13:46:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (was: Who needs Perl? We do!)

On 16:09:41 J Wunsch wrote:
>>As Michael Smith wrote:
>
>> So, to deal with the "AV" crowd, whose hardware often can't handle
>> being starved of data for several hundred ms, drive manufacturers made
>> the recalibration process interruptible, so that data operations
>> continue and recalibration occurs in the "background".
>
>Makes me wonder: now that they _know_ the technology to perform the
>thermal recalibration in background, it doesn't cost the manufacturer
>any more.  So why don't they simply ship all drives this way?

For the same reason a 17 jewel watch was better than a 14 jewel watch.

For the same reason automakers change models every year, without
changing very much.

For the same reason IBM claimed the 8088 was 16 bit.

For the same reason Cyrix calls their chip a 686 and labels it P166.

For the same reason every couple of months your favorite laundry soap
is labeled "new and improved."

... Marketing.