Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 09:35:35 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Larry S. Lile" <lile@stdio.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Object library formats

On Monday,  6 July 1998 at 13:16:58 -0400, Larry S. Lile wrote:

> Could this library be linked into a kernel?
>
> COFF/TRLLD.O:        80386 COFF executable not stripped - version 30821

Do they really use upper-case file names?  How strange.  Nevertheless,
I'd guess that file(1) is wrong, and it's really an object, not an
executable or a library.  You could convert it to a.out and link it,
but I doubt it would do anything useful.

> It is part of the Olicom device driver development kit for their token
> ring cards.  They seem to think it would be compatible with a.out.  Also
> would this library be compatible with an elf'd system?

I don't know how to convert it to elf, but it doesn't look necessary.
The following file appears to be the elf version.

> ELF/TRLLD.O:         ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable, Intel 80386, version 1,
> not stripped

The real problem is: what do you expect these files to do?  In order
to do anything useful in the kernel, they need to fit in, which means
they need to be written for FreeBSD.  You don't even say what system
they're written for, but I'll bet my bottom dollar it's not *BSD.

In summary, I'd say "forget it".  If you can't get source code (which
you'd almost certainly need to modify significantly), it's no use to
you.

Greg