Date:      Sun, 29 Nov 1998 22:49:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      John Sconiers <jrs@enteract.com>
To:        Ed Suchocki <esuchocki@mediaone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrated with bsd

> I know that many people are using Free Bsd in their systems. I'm curious how
> these people have been able to figure where to start in using the system. I
> was expecting to find some insight here on the web but there is none to be
> found. How to download the software is as clear as mud. A person must be
> completely familiar with FTP and Free BSD before attempting to download and
> install it. If Free bsd is to get into the main stream there must be a
> better way for people to get useful and clear information as to how to
> install and download this system. The books that I have found are of no
> great help either. This operating system is only good to those who already
> know it!

The best way to start off is to order the cdrom set that comes with the
book.  This explains everything and walks you through most questions plus
a lot easier than downloading.  A few things you need to consider is that
you'll probably want to partition your hard drive so you can switch back
and forth between Windows and FreeBSD until you get comfortable enough to
just switch completely.

> 	If you know of any sites or books that discuss the features of FreeBSD and
> have examples of how to use FTP to download it, I would appreciate the
> information.

Save yourself a lot of trouble and just buy the cd-rom and book.  I could
even burn you a copy of the cdrom however you *STILL* would need the book.
It's a must have when you first start off.  You might also want to
subscribe to a mailing list or two and get the essential system
administration book by ORA.  Last but not least make sure your hardware is
compatible...it can save you a lot of pain.

> I'm currently using MS Explorer 4.0 and I do not see any way of starting an
> ftp file transfer (no reference in help).
> Frustrated in Chicago,
> ejs614@flash.net

I'm in Chicago as well so if you'd like the cd-rom or have any questions I
could help with let me know.

JOHN