Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 00:52:03 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Alan Clegg <abc@bsdi.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS: having domain1.com and domain1.net point to the same IP.

At 03:58 PM 9/29/00 -0400, Alan Clegg wrote:
>Unless the network is lying to me again, James Wyatt said:
>
> > Wow, reverse lookups only match some of the time?!?! I may be off-base
> > again, but I thought a lot of things wanted reverse host entries that
> > matched exactly for security verification. I read your last comment, but
> > want to know what folks think would really happen. - Jy@
>
>It used to be that lots of things depended on this, but, with the advent
>of the clueless internet, people have had to turn off this test.  I remember
>when ftp.uu.net required you to have matching forward and inverse DNS.

And some refuse to give up the war.  I might put in temporary allows, but
see no reason to completely cave in.

>Long gone are those days.

<sigh>

>Yes, _some_ things still require you to have working DNS, but the inability
>for providers to get simple things working _right_ has brought the network
>to a state of extreme apathy.

Amen!

>When the response by the ISP in the wrong is "well, you are one of very few
>people that my clients can't talk to, so you must be broken", and that is
>the line that they are feeding their clients, what are you to do?

Educate them.  If possible that is.  Clients should help when they bug
their provider.  I've found that to work rather well when a technical
discussion end either in apathy or idiocy.

Skip "Holy War" and let's call a crusade!  8-)

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve