Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 1995 12:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      julian@TFS.COM (Julian Elischer)
To:        dufault@hda.com (Peter Dufault)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI target

> However, the only host adapter that supports this is the Adaptec
> 1542B.  The 1542C will hang the bus big time if you put it into
> target mode, so I've locked it out.
does the buslogic work?
JORDAN? you've the busloginc manual......

> I have little hope that most of the commercial firmware will support
> this properly, so if some of our firmware crankers want to start
> cranking firmware they can look at the isa/aha1542c to get a feel
> for how it should act.  I'll have a Acculogic board with the NCR
> 825 in house for a while.

I guess the NCR and 77x0 based boards would eb our best bet then..

> The 1542 model is good, and I suggest we just use that as much as
> possible.

I believe the bt cards follow this model
do you know if it works...
(I believe you talked to them about it once)

> Eventually I'd like to add support for reserving units on the SCSI
> bus, sharing read only disk partitions, and running TCP/IP over
> SCSI using target mode capable host adapters.  I think that could
> make for a nice little cluster.
yeah....
with care, and an MTU > 4096, we should be able to shift whole pages around
as well, (though that may take some work in the protocol stacks)

(I was thinking of a special page-shifting protocol :)

julian